Extract: Michael Carrick lifts lid on almost joining Arsenal in 2004 - TELENOVELA BLASTERS TELENOVELA BLASTERS: Extract: Michael Carrick lifts lid on almost joining Arsenal in 2004

Pages

Header Description


LATEST POSTS

Wednesday 10 October 2018

Extract: Michael Carrick lifts lid on almost joining Arsenal in 2004

Michael Carrick has revealed in an extract of his new autobiography that he was on the verge of joining Arsenal in 2004, only for Arsene Wenger to opt for promoting Cesc Fabregas to the first team instead.

The 36-year-old, who only managed five appearances last season, hung up his boots in May to join Jose Mourinho’s backroom staff.

He revealed on Tuesday in a powerful extract for his book – which comes out on October 18 – that he had suffered depression following Manchester United’s 2-0 defeat to Barcelona in the 2009 Champions League.

In another taster for what will be a fantastic read, Carrick detailed how he went from almost joining Portsmouth to almost becoming an Arsenal player, only for the deal to fall through at the last minute.

‘After a year in the First Division, I had to get back in the top flight and West Ham needed money,’ he wrote.

‘West Brom and Portsmouth came in for me in the summer of 2004 and Iain Dowie tried hard to get me to Crystal Palace. I never spoke to any of them because none of it felt right. Everton were interested and I spoke to David Moyes on the phone, but that just faded away. After a few weeks, Portsmouth came back in again. Portsmouth were a solid Premiership club. Harry Redknapp was there, and so was the chief executive Peter Storrie, who I knew from West Ham. I was well into the pre-season so, with time running out, I agreed to meet Harry.

‘“I’ll get my head round it, get in the Premiership, have a good year and then see whatever,”’ I told David Geiss, who I have been with my whole career and is more of a family friend than an “agent”. So, we went to meet Harry and Peter at a hotel near Heathrow on August 6, 2004, a couple of days before the season started with the Community Shield. On the way, David got a call from David Dein that really threw us. Dein was the main man at Arsenal and very close to Arsène Wenger. There was nothing concrete, and we didn’t know the strength of their interest, but still, Arsenal!

‘It was just a call, sounding us out really, so we carried on, and spoke to Harry and Peter. “Come down to Portsmouth tomorrow,” Harry said. “Have a medical.” That seemed sorted, I was going to Pompey. Then, on the way home, we got another call. Arsenal again, asking us to meet Arsène. As it happened we were driving past his home in north London, so we arranged to call in on the way. Within an hour I was sitting in the front room of Arsène Wenger’s house, pinching myself. Could this really be happening? Arsenal! Could I really be on the verge of signing for the Invincibles who’d just gone through the season unbeaten?

‘Arsène Wenger was at the peak of his powers at the time, a giant of management, and it felt surreal to be there talking to him in his front room. “Tell me about yourself, Michael,” Wenger said. “What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses?” It all seemed quite formal as if I was undergoing a job interview with the civil service. It was quite a contrast to the relaxed chat I’d just had with Harry. “All right, OK,” I began, and just outlined my strengths. I felt self-conscious talking about them as I’m not into bigging myself up and I didn’t want to come across as arrogant. I understood why he asked me, though, as he wanted to get to know my character.

‘We talked for almost an hour about football. Wenger had the Community Shield at the weekend but was spending an hour with me, so surely he had to be interested in signing me? “Let’s get Cardiff out the way, and we’ll see you Monday,” Wenger said as we left. Things were moving so fast I needed a few minutes to put it all into perspective. That night, I sat at the bottom of my bed and talked it through with Lisa, just running all the possibilities through my mind. It came from nowhere. My head was spinning. Arsenal were finishing either first or second in the Premiership. Lisa knows I’m not a big talker and tend to keep things to myself and find a way to deal with it. This was different.

‘This was a decision that affected the path our lives would take. I was overjoyed Arsenal wanted me but very conscious of treating Harry with respect. First thing, I called him. “Look, Harry, I’m not coming down, it doesn’t feel right now, my head’s a bit all over the place. I’m just sorting a few things out. It’s Arsenal. I’m sorry, it’s off.”

‘I almost felt guilty over how calmly Harry took it. He knew the attraction of Arsenal. Arriving at Chadwell Heath on the Saturday, I was thrilled to hear that Dein and Terry Brown had already spoken about a fee. Wow! I was moving from the First Division to a team in the Champions League. I’d heard [Patrick] Vieira was leaving Arsenal and that opened up a space in midfield, so it seemed nailed on that Monday morning I’d be an Arsenal player. I went out training and it was good because my brother Graeme was there at the time, and Rich [Richard Garcia] threw me a red bib, just messing about. “Red? Very funny!” Rich knew about Arsenal’s interest.

‘On the Sunday, I settled down at home in Theydon Bois, Epping, to watch Arsenal, my team to be, in the Community Shield against Manchester United. I saw that a kid, Cesc Fàbregas, only 17, started in Vieira’s place. Fàbregas played a blinder but I didn’t think too much about the significance. I sat at home on Sunday night waiting for the call to arrange details of the next day. Arsenal! I couldn’t wait.

‘But I waited, and waited, and that call never came. The next day, I had to go into training at West Ham instead and, on the way, David phoned to say he’d had a call from Dein. David relayed the gist of his message, like, “I’m sorry, the manager says we don’t need Michael. Fàbregas is coming through like he is. Sorry, the deal’s off.” Fàbregas’s performance changed Wenger’s mind about needing me.

‘I was totally devastated as I had my heart set on Arsenal and playing with all that talent. My head was gone. Arsenal had swayed me and I didn’t have a clue what I’d do now.

‘Harry hadn’t given up and I got a call from him later, “I’m on my way up to see you.”

“Harry, please, don’t.”

“I’m in the car.”

‘“Honestly, Harry, there’s no point you coming up to see us, and I don’t want to mess you around.” Which was true, I didn’t want to be disrespectful, I was just stuck in the middle, but I eventually managed to put Harry off. It just didn’t feel right to go to Portsmouth now.

‘Out of nowhere, Spurs’s sporting director, Frank Arnesen, called. “We’re bringing in good young British players, and we want you, Michael.” I knew Paul Robinson and Sean Davis had arrived. Spurs were on the up and it was a good time to join. Arsenal’s rivals wanted me! I looked at Spurs’s playing style and thought, ‘This is going to suit me.’ I’d been thrown a lifeline. I rang Lisa and then Mam and Dad, who were on holiday with Lisa’s parents. “Oh, by the way, we’re going to Tottenham!” I told them.’


Telenovela Blasters do not claim ownership of any of the Songs and Videos that we upload and any copyright infringement complaints will be executed immediately! It is our policy to honor all take-down requests! Email Us via chaarlso30@gmail.com
l

If you believe that this page has violated your copyrighted/protected material(s), please kindly Contact Us for immediate removal, or mail us at chaarlso30@gmail.com stating the content name/URL of the page. Thanks.

To upload your music on Telenovela Blasters and get massive download, contact us now via:
Whatsapp: 08130162561
Email: Teeloadedblog@gmail.com



Copy the link below and Share with your Friends:


post-summary-thumb

Article Name

Extract: Michael Carrick lifts lid on almost joining Arsenal in 2004

Description



Author Name



Published On

 

Post Category

Man Utd




Download Our Official Android App on Google Playstore HERE
OR
Download from another source HERE



entclass-point
entclass-gfx

No comments:

Post a Comment